One of our dear officemate which is also our friend is leaving the team (my previous team at work) and moving on to a new role (we’re happy for her!). I was assigned to work on the design of the scrapbook to be given to her. It was scary just thinking about committing on something which I am not very sure how it would turn out. But what better for me to do than to take the first step?
I decided to draw cherry blossoms because I know she hearts Japan. Let me share with you some detailed steps on how I completed this painting in 2 days.
- Gesso-ed the front page. (I bought the white one)
- Sketch the trunks + branches and the perspective on how they will align. I reviewed some photographs of cherry blossoms beforehand.
- I colored the trunk with watercolor pencils but ended up painting them straight from the watercolor paint for faster work.
- I use alizarin crimson diluted with water to create the cherry blossoms. Some are flower shapes while some are done by dotting it with the brush.
- I sketched the girl based from 3 separate photos of my friend. This is her caricature! Don’t know if it looks like her but I had fun!
- After tracing the outline with the Micro Pigma, I painted her.
- The last is purely application of embellishment — I get my rigger brush and create thin branches across the trees. I colored the ground in dotted and faded permanent pink. I painted the sidewalk in green and some prussian blue + black to cover the distant view. Lastly some grass and emphasis of colors.
I hope she will like the scrapbook especially with the heart warming letters from friends and colleagues.
I am sharing this painting with the gang at Paint Party Friday. Please join me and check out what other awesome artists have done. I’ll be checking your art on Sunday.
Have a blessed weekend everyone!
Hey Lis!! thanks so much! :) I love the drawing!!! I hope to see you soooon! :)
how very thoughtful of you. of course she will enjoy it!
What a wonderful thoughtful beautiful gift!! She will love it! Thank you for posting your process – I always enjoy hearing how paintings evolve!
Wow!!! It is great! She is going to be thrilled!
Ahhh really cute!! She will love it!!
What a wonderful gift to make for a special someone – love the blossoms too – fantastic & happy caricature too – great job & Happy PPF :)
What a wonderful thing to do…I know she will just love it! ;-)
What a wonderful idea for a gift. It will be treasured! HAPPY PPF!
Paula - Buenos Aires
She looks so happy and hip. Love the flowers, very graceful.
Pop Art Minis
What a wonderful going away gift! I think they picked the perfect person to head it up! I’m sure she’ll love it! POP ART MINIS
Thank you very much for your kind words, I really appreciate it! :)
Thank you Paula! :) She is really hip in person.:D
She surely will.. thank you very much!
Thank you Crystal!
Thank you so much Shelle!
Thank you very much Heather!
Thanks so much Eva! She is going to be happy especially with all the letters!
Thank you very much Jenn! It’s a good reference for me as well apart from sharing them with people:)
Thanks a lot!
You are welcome Gi!! My pleasureeee! I’m glad you like it! Hehehe! See you soon! :)
So pretty, what a great gift!
A gift from the heart ,especially a beautiful one….she will adore it!
What a lovely work I am sure she will be thrilled ;0) Dxx
Christelle Ann L. Cui
This is great. Your works of art always inspires me. You’ll do my wedding invitations. :) Caricatures of me and my future hubby. :P
Awwwww, thank you so much Tel! I am very honored to be doing your wedding invitations.. I hope it is soon! ;)
Thank you so much! =)
Thanks so much Annabelle!:)
Thanks a lot Julie!
Oh I just love this painting! Its a beautiful gift for your friend! She looks so fun to hang out with!!! Deb
Thanks so much Deb! She is really friendly! =D